1) Need to warm up? Stay at Dusky Lodge and sit in front of our wood burners with a hot cup of tea while admiring our mountain views.
You need some muscle relaxing after a huge hike or some freezing cold surfing? Just jump into our Hot Spa and you’ll be ready for your next activity!
2) Winter is the best time to go whale watching as the Sperm whales feed closer to shore, the annual Humpback whale migration begins, and you can’t beat a snow-capped mountain as a back-drop to any of your snaps! Either from the air or on a boat, an adventure you’ll never forget. Kaikoura’s deep sea trench allows Whales and other sea mammals,
eg. Dolphins to catch a lot of food, so they are swimming just a couple of miles in front of the coast.
3) Ever swam over a 3km deep sea trench and interact with the most acrobatic Dolphins in the world? In Kaikoura, you’ll be able to get as close to the world famous Dusky Dolphin as nowhere else! Either as a watcher on the boat or in a comfy wet-suit with fins
and snorkel, you decide how to experience a unique natural phenomenon. Even in winter a great experience and the wet-suits keep you warm and the friendly staff fills your wet-suit with warm water when coming out of the cold water.
4) Seal Kayaking around Kaikoura’s beautiful and dramatically impressive Peninsula is a definite must do at your visit!
Either guided with a lot of facts about Kaikoura’s marine life and the special geological situation or just rent a kayak and spot some seals by yourself. You will definitely see some as they love to come close and present themselves!
Tip: Experience the sunset tour with unforgettable images of Kaikoura’s mountains.
5) Peninsula Walk. A must do, free activity for fantastic views over our little, beautiful town, the mountains in the back and the ocean right in front of you. In about 2,5 – 3 h you’ll finish the whole walk and you can finish it off with some real authentic seafood aka
Crayfish & co. from the „Seafood Barbecue“ just on the way to the peninsula. A delicious experience, even with small budgets.